Looking for advice or a little inspiration? You’ve come to the right place! Here you will find some helpful tips and creative ideas to achieve the beautiful yard you deserve.
Easy Landscaping Ideas
Increase the curb appeal of your home with these easy to follow landscaping tips:
- Take a picture of your home from the street.
- Visit your local home improvement store, taking time to browse through their available plants and shrubbery.
- Consider how much sun or shade your planting area usually receives.
- Don’t forget to look at shrubbery and other non-flowering plants as well, they add to the overall aesthetics of your landscaping!
- If your soil needs improving, ask for some advice on which fertilizers will work best for you.
- Always make sure you have the proper tools.
- When planting, make sure your holes are deep enough and that you leave the recommended amount of space in between plants.
Lawn Mowing Tips
I’m often asked, “When is the best time to mow my yard?”. I would never recommend mowing during the hottest part of the day, as this can cause browning. We’ve all seen how ugly this can make an otherwise healthy yard appear!
The next most common question involves how often should a yard be mowed. Ideally, you want to keep your grass between 2 and 3 inches high, this helps stimulate the absorption of sunshine leading to a healthy yard.
Always keep your mower blades sharp and alternate the direction in which you move every time, this will help avoid the formation of ruts. As for the clippings, believe it or not, I suggest leaving the clippings where they fall! As they quickly decompose they actually help provide nutrients to the yard. Now, if you’ve waited too long to actually mow your grass, you’re going to have way too many clippings, making your yard look more like a hay field! That’s why it’s so important to be consistent with your mowing.
I’ve received the best results by religiously following the tips below:
- Let the soil dry out and breathe between watering sessions.
- Humidity, heat and rainfall affect how often you should water. A good rule of thumb is if you’ve had several dry, hot days in a row it’s time to break out the hose!
- Depending on weather conditions, soil typically evaporates at a rate of about 1 inch per week.By watering early in the morning you’ll get more mileage out of the same amount of water because more of it will be absorbed and less will evaporate.
- The worst time of day to water is high noon on a hot day. You’ll use more water because of excessive evaporation, which will result in higher water bills and singed plants.
Does that sound like a lot of work? Consider installing a sprinkler system and timer!
Decorative Mailbox Enclosures
Looking for a quick and inexpensive way to add a decorative touch to your front yard? Protect your mailbox from vandals with a brick enclosure.
Plant Colorful Flowers
Flowers are always a nice addition to your landscape design. Use annuals or perennials and surround with plenty of fresh mulch for instant curb appeal.